Thursday, March 10, 2011

AXIS through the eyes of an Intern

by Marguerite
I am starting to get into the swing of things in my new role here as an intern with AXIS Dance Company. Not only am I getting into shape biking over an hour to and fro the Malonga Center every shift but am also noticing I am feeling more integrated as a part of the 'inner' team. Juan, the pleasant security guard welcomes me and bike with smiles into the Malonga Center. I make my way up the stairs for a change of attire and am greeted with cheery 'hellos' upon my entry into the office - warm interpersonal dynamics I truly appreciate!

And the learning curve continues. I have recently had opportunity to further develop itineraries for two company tours; for Denver Colorado and Chandler, Arizona. Developing itineraries typically involves securing flights, hotels, talking with event organizers, making arrangements with venues, super-shuttles and car rentals, to name a few of the details needing attention. Requesting a refund with Super-shuttle on one occasion was an involved, challenging yet in the end, satisfying experience, providing opportunity to further hone my negotiation skills!

On another note, I have had opportunity to put into practice my home renovation skills, complete with drill, a very large pair of wire cutters and wall anchors! We tried to put up a curtain to further organize and beautify the office - alas to no avail, the curtain wire hanger was not strong enough to hold the curtain! A 'to be continued' project to return to as time permits...

A highlight and challenge has been taking the Monday night classes. The highlight is to study with AXIS Dance Company's wonderful teachers. The challenge: to find pathways to learn and retain choreography! The search continues, my intention: to find a solution....

Much continues to inspire me to new levels of understanding and experience with my stint as intern with AXIS Dance Company. I look forward to more as the remaining time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment