Friday, April 8, 2011

Saying Goodbye To Winter Intern: Marguerite

Wow - my last day at AXIS Dance Company! How time flies. Seems like I just arrived a month ago yet a full three months has gone by. I feel integrated into the weekly office functioning and now it is time to go. Reflecting back on the last three months, I feel a sense of accomplishment.

A few highlights: I have learned a tremendous amount regarding the ins and outs of setting up performance events, from flight arrangements to venue, hotel and presenter coordination. I have also dabbled quite a lot in the marketing of upcoming events. This has involved internet research and write-ups - two things I love to do! On a more practical end, I have helped to organize a couple of important office functions, like the music library and Annika's desktop space. I have also learned how to use a Mac! While this may seem trivial to some, to me it is an accomplishment I am now proud to add to my list.

On the more unusual office skills side, I have had a chance to be a part of the finalization of the curtain installation process! Yay, for completion! Thanks to Annika and Christy for getting lighter curtains, a suitable curtain rod and deciding to go for it! And what a wall we had to work with. Try hanging a curtain rod on a wall base of tin, drywall and cement. Needless to say, we had fun!



On the per-formative side, I have really enjoyed watching rehearsals and participating in the Monday Night Master Classes. I am also enjoying the Professional Teacher Training in Arts Integration. And on a personal note, I have started taking risks previously often avoided in dance. I am learning how to access choreography! This is a tremendous accomplishment for me, one that leaves me feeling really satisfied. I am continuously amazed at the parallels of learning choreography and other aspects of life. I am dyslexic. Determining left from right, up from down, flip-side from downside etc. can be really challenging for me. Because of the acceptance I encountered both in office and on the AXIS dance floor, I now feel a sense of inner integration and greater self-awareness. I have learned to handle and recognize many aspects of a learning disability previously frustrated by. Thank you AXIS!!!

All in all, my experience with AXIS Dance Company has been tremendous! Many thanks! See you on the dance floor!

Marguerite

No comments:

Post a Comment