Wednesday, September 1, 2010

AXIS Summer Intensive 2010 - last post from intern Cayenne

Congratulations to all the 2010 AXIS Summer Intensive participants!!! I am so proud of all the beautiful dancing and so glad I got to be a part of such an amazing collaboration.


Day 3:… 25 dancers of various ages, walk, motor, hop or wheel through the studio space, chanting different syllables;
"..huh, huh sss,sss, whooO, whOO eeeEEEAAaah eeeEEE…"

This is the AXIS Summer Intensive, a part of our technique class warm-up. For me, the uniqueness of the AXIS Intensive was a focus on the mental and social aspects of dance. The range of backgrounds, ages, and physical abilities were very enriching.

To see what I mean, check out our latest updates on YouTube and Flicker!




In the afternoon we had improvisation, and during composition we created solos inspired by anatomical pictures (for example knee joints or the shoulder). We then combined solos to create a duet, finally combining duets to create a piece for the showing at the end of the week. I loved watching the metamorphosis and evolution of all the beautiful quartets.




It's been a wonderful AXIS Summer, and I wanted to thank all the people I've met - staff, dancers, board members, and fans, for being so welcoming! I also want to thank all the summer intensive participants. It was an amazingly warm, friendly, and supportive group, and I really felt comfortable challenging myself. I hope that you can all take some of that openness into the real world and pay it forward. The last thing I would like to say is, hopefully you got some rest first : ) but keep on DANCING! - Cayenne Ross




No comments:

Post a Comment