Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kat's First Blog!!


Hi from Kat, AXIS’ latest Intern!

It’s great to come in to such a welcoming office when you’re thousands of miles from home!
I flew over last Wednesday from the UK after graduating from The Northern School of Contemporary Dance, Leeds, UK and completing a summer of traveling adventures. (Including discovering belly dance in Morocco – something I hope to pursue whilst staying in the bay area)!

My first week has been great. I’ve been preparing for the exciting upcoming Home Season performances and working on the itinerary for AXIS Dance Company’s tour next month to the Lied Center. Lincoln. Plus I’ve got really good at leaving voicemail messages.

It’s wonderful to be in an area cram packed with so many dance styles and variety in Contemporary Dance. I hope to make the most of this during my stay and have already done an Irish jig, shaken my hips Bollywood style as well as keeping up my ballet technique. I’m looking forward to seeing what new contemporary work is emerging around here too and AXIS is a great place to start- maybe I’ll head up to watch rehearsal later!?

My experience of physically integrated dance is that the companies have a strong sense of community and know how to have fun whilst exploring new realms of movement. I am an emerging artist associate with CandoCo Dance Company in the UK, which has led to me creating a duet with a new friend, Kimberley Harvey, that I hope to return to in January. I have also undertaken work experience with StopGap Dance Company where I took class and had a taste of behind the scenes action. I am sure that my time with AXIS will build on these skills and open my eyes to the world of dance Stateside!

Cheerio!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Kat! We are excited you are joining us :)
    Looking forward to meeting you in person soon.
    Annika

    ReplyDelete